Hoss is a digital industries veteran who’s published several books, won a bunch of awards, run a few companies, and presented at a lot of international creative and technology conferences. In the copious amounts of free time this leaves, Hoss is inclined to judge awards, including D&AD and The One Show, and for a while enjoyed the title of visiting lecturer at Glasgow School of Art.
Although he has a degree in architecture, he’s served time as a graphic designer, worked in advertising, and has the scars from good old fashioned new media. He also worked as a lifeguard in Pennsylvania in the eighties, a cocktail barman in Edinburgh in the nineties, and owned a BMX shop in the naughties.
In September 2010’s issue of Computer Arts magazine he was featured as a Design Icon. He recently stepped down as Director of Digital Innovation for Starworks/Marque in New York to take on a non-exec position with the company that frees him up to work on personal projects.
Hoss is currently taking on commissions in the fields of digital strategy, animation, and application development, while concentrating on innovation through new technologies.
- Best Newcomer, Scottish Design Awards.
- Creative Future, Creative Review.
- Scottish New Media Agency of the Year.
- Winner of Story Category at the Flash Film Festival, San Francisco.
- Best Website, Scottish Advertising Awards.
- Best Viral, Scottish Advertising Awards.
- Best Online Film, Epica.
- Commendation, Interactive Media category, Design Week Awards.
Each year Hoss talks at a handful of conferences with a bias towards innovation through creative use of technology. His current presentation, “Things I Have Learned”, has received overwhelming critical acclaim. You can download the slides from the talk here, and if you organize a conference that you’d like Hoss to talk at, get in touch here.
The main conferences Hoss has presented at are:
- OFFF Paris, June 2010.
- 4 Flash on the Beach presentations, 2005 — 2010.
- 4 Flash in the Can presentations, Toronto & Amsterdam, between 2004 and 2010.
- 6 Flash Forward presentations between 2000 and 2003, including London, Amsterdam, San Francisco and New York.
- Milia 2001, Cannes.
- NMUF New York 2001, Rotterdam 2001.
- BD4D main speaker, Manchester 2002.
- Convergence Lecture Series, The Lighthouse, Glasgow, 2002.
In addition to these awards he has twice written and hosted the FITC Awards Show.
- New Masters of Flash.
- Flash MX Upgrade Essentials.
- Macromedia Flash MX Video.
- Flash Video Creativity.
- Various articles for creative technology magazines.