My background as a software engineer, with a degree in architecture, having served time as a graphic designer, animator, and hardware tinkerer, places me at the intersection of technology, art, and commerce where I specialize in solving highly complex problems with profitable technology that presents end users with beauty, elegance, and simplicity.
While helping run creative organizations our work has received awards from Applied Arts, Cannes Cyber Lions, the Canadian Marketing Association, and the Webby Awards to name a few. I personally have received an Epica, was one of Creative Review’s Creative Futures, and Computer Arts featured me as a Design Icon.
In 2011 I was shortlisted by Apple to join their Human Interface Device Prototyping group — a small team of polymaths existing outside their traditional management structure, reporting directly to Steve Jobs and Jony Ive.
For the last 4 years I’ve held the position of VP, Director of Technology for OneMethod in Toronto, and I moonlight as CTO of Property Platform in Manhattan and co-founder of a software startup in Toronto.
I specialize in building and leading teams to deliver systems that hide their complexity from users behind beautifully elegant user interfaces. I’m at my best with my time split between being client facing and getting detailed with the technical architecture. I adore making complex technical concepts easy to understand, and have a track record of running innovation focused entrepreneurial projects.
- Profitable innovation
- Executive level technical leadership
- Building and leading technology teams
- Decisive creative thinking to capitalize on obscured opportunities
- Lean startup entrepreneurialism
- Motivational public speaking
- Winning pitches
I host a quarterly event called Speakeasy where I interview creative business leaders, and feature in my own cookery show called Cooking in the Methlab with Hoss.
- Ben Huh episode — http://onemethod.com/methblab/cooking1
- Jared Ficklin episode — http://onemethod.com/methblab/cooking2
Each year I talk at a handful of conferences with a bias towards innovation through creative use of technology. My current presentation, “Things I Have Learned”, has received overwhelming critical acclaim. You can download the slides from the talk at haweso.me/hglearned
The major conferences I’ve presented at are:
- 12 FITC presentations, Toronto, Winnipeg & Amsterdam.
- OFFF Paris.
- 4 Flash on the Beach presentations.
- 6 Flash Forward presentations, including London, Amsterdam, San Francisco and New York.
- Milia, Cannes.
- NMUF New York, and Rotterdam.
- BD4D main speaker, Manchester.
- Convergence Lecture Series, The Lighthouse, Glasgow.
Additionally I have written and hosted the FITC Awards Show 3 times.
- Best Newcomer, Scottish Design Awards.
- Creative Future, Creative Review.
- Scottish New Media Agency of the Year.
- Winner of Story Category at the Flash Film Festival, San Francisco.
- Best Website, Scottish Advertising Awards.
- Best Viral, Scottish Advertising Awards.
- Best Online Film, Epica.
- Commendation, Interactive Media category, Design Week Awards.
- New Masters of Flash.
- Flash MX Upgrade Essentials.
- Macromedia Flash MX Video.
- Flash Video Creativity.
- Various articles for creative technology magazines.